IF YOU START WITH THE OLDEST POST, IT READS LIKE A BOOK. (Mostly) A BOOK. (Mostly)


This blog has moved to www.mommyhasissues.com.
You will be redirected to that site in 5 seconds.
If you are not redirected, please click the link above.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Scavenger Hunt

"Remember, an easy question can have an easy answer.  But a hard question must have a hard answer.  And for the hardest questions of all, there may be no answer -except faith." -Charles Sheffield, Brother to Dragons


We went to the opthamologist appointment 3 days after I took Oli home. This is the doctor that the hospital had recommended to us. Since this is the only suggestion we had received so far, we went.
 
Her name was Dr. Shin.
She was sweet and sympathetic, but she told us that she was not familiar treating microphthalmic children. She could only tell us what we already knew. Oli's eyes were extremely small and she probably would be totally blind.
 
She did lead us a few more steps into the beginning of our journey by giving us two names.

One was the name of a family who also had a son with microphthalmia. This family had started a foundation called the Nevada Blind Children's Foundation. www.nvblindchildren.org
She told us that the foundation was having an open house in a couple of days and we should go and meet this family. 
 
Finally! We were going to be able to talk with someone who knew what we were going through.
 
The other was the name of a colleague she went to school with. He was another opthamologist but, had treated kids with microphthalmia before. He was located in Los Angeles which was about 6 hours away.
 
I still did not know what all these people were going to do for my daughter and my head was swimming with too much information. I thought that the doctor in L.A. was going to fit my daughter with her first pair of conformers. I found out 2 months later, when we saw him, that he was just more of an expert on her eye condition. I'm still not completely sure why we needed to see him. He told us the same information that we had heard since she was born. That her eyes were extremely small. We did finally get the name of an ocularist though.

I felt like I was on a scavenger hunt. Each person we met would lead us to another person and they in turn would lead us to another. Each clue was supposed to be leading me closer to an answer.
 
 But I never received the answer I was looking for.
 
 A way to make her better.
 
I may as well have been searching for the end of the rainbow. 

No comments :

Post a Comment