IF YOU START WITH THE OLDEST POST, IT READS LIKE A BOOK. (Mostly) A BOOK. (Mostly)


This blog has moved to www.mommyhasissues.com.
You will be redirected to that site in 5 seconds.
If you are not redirected, please click the link above.

Friday, January 4, 2013

OMG! What did you stick in her eyes!!!

“No one is more insufferable than he who lacks basic courtesy.”
Bryant McGill

Although talking with these moms helped me tremendously no one could have prepared me for the calamities of conformer therapy.  I described the evaluation as being "awful" so to find a word describing peg conformers is difficult.                                              

 Horrendous, horrific, saddening, a catastrophic emotional disaster for an already emotional mother walking a very fine line between a healthy dose of hope and normalicy and a very unhealthy obsession pretending what if...     

Peg conformer therapy walked me through new trials and tribulations and reminded me frequently that I did not possess thick skin.  These conformers were not pretty.  It looked like I had shoved little glass sticks in my baby's eyes.



         
"What did you stick in her eyes?"  I have actually had someone say these words to me.              

 OMG! What did you stick in her eyes? Poor baby!
 As she clutches her chest and looks at me like she is about to call child protective services.                                                                                                                                                      
  Nothing! Nothing. I didn't put those in her eyes.  Well, technically I did I guess, but only to help her.                                                                                                                                                       

 I start spouting off unsolicited information about her eye condition.  Letting this woman know that Oli was born without eyes and that I drive her to California every 3-4 weeks and actually pay a professional to put these ghastly things into her eyes.

 I am giving her way too much information at this point and now she is looking at me like instead of calling CPS she is thinking of calling the local psych hospital.                          

Well, serves you right lady!  Don't say things like that to me.  I'm sensitive!          

 Who says things like that to people anyway? I would never...                        

 I was taught very young "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you".  Thank you Mr. Snell circa 1985-1990.  He was my elementary school principle and always closed the morning announcements with that lesson.  I frequently hear that phrase repeated in  my head in Mr. Snell's deep friendly voice.  More frequently now that Oli has been with me.                                                                                                                              
As for spouting off unsolicited information about Oli, I still do this.  I'm going  to make her a T-shirt that says "I'm just fine but my mommy has issues!"     

3 comments :

  1. My son needs that exact shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, there has to be a shirt like that out there! Orion gets plenty of stares, no sticks in his eyes even to this day... I could do without that and I just hold my tongue.

    :::H

    ReplyDelete